Who We Are
With its signature copper spire (flèche), rose window and red entry doors on Central Park West, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has been a very visible and prominent part of New York’s Upper West Side community for over a century. The present church building was completed in 1904. Holy Trinity was founded in 1868 but later built at the current location when it outgrew its sanctuary downtown, on West 21st Street (that building no longer exists.)
Holy Trinity is located at the corner of West 65th Street and Central Park West in Manhattan, just down the street from Lincoln Center and directly adjacent to Central Park. It is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Holy Trinity worships in the evangelical catholic tradition of the Lutheran Mass with a strong emphasis on music and outreach. The congregation, which embraces a diversity of people and life-styles, finds its unity in the fellowship of worship, music and service. Holy Trinity is recognized by Lutherans Concerned as a Reconciling in Christ Congregation, welcoming all people in Christ’s name regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, gender, class or other possible exclusionary distinctions. With a heart for the city and a passion for justice, we seek to be a place where all God’s people will know they are loved.
Weekly Mass celebrations of Word and Sacrament occur on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, plus on all principal festivals. Worship is characterized by the proclamation of the Gospel, celebration of the Holy Eucharist and by an intense musical involvement and expression of choir and congregation. As a member of the ELCA all baptized Christians are invited to share in the Holy Eucharist.
Holy Trinity is most widely known for its Bach Vespers program, begun in 1968, which was the first instance in the Western Hemisphere where the cantatas of Bach could be heard regularly on their appointed day (designated by Bach himself) in the context of worship. Cantatas, as well as other early music, are rendered by the Bach Choir & Bach Players, comprised of profession musicians, from late October through April. For more info on this program please click here.